Enjoy Hazlitt’s World Famous French Onion Soup this holiday season!
HAZLITT'S WORLD FAMOUS FRENCH ONION SOUP
· 3 lb. onions, peeled and thinly sliced into strips
· 4 TBSP butter
· 1 TBSP fresh ground black pepper
· 2 TBSP garlic salt
· ½ TBSP thyme
· 1 TBSP fresh parsley
· 2 bay leaves
· 4 TBSP flour
· 2, 16oz cans of beef broth
· 14 tsp beef base, dissolved in 8 cups boiling water
· 1 TBSP tomato paste
· 2 cups Hazlitt 1852 Schooner Red
· 3 TBSP apple cider vinegar
· 2 "glugs" (very generous splash) of Hazlitt Solera Sherry
· 1 cup shredded swiss cheese
· 3 TBSP grated parmesan cheese
· 1 baguette
1. Slice onions into thin strips
2. Sauté sliced onions in large skillet with butter and salt lightly. When onions are tender, add a glug of sherry and stir until liquid evaporates. Stir in flour until smooth. When browned, set aside.
3. Boil water, add beef base and stir until dissolved. Remove from heat and set aside.
4. In a separate bowl, stir tomato paste into wine until smooth. Set aside.
5. Combine onions, another glug of sherry, tomato paste mixture, and all other liquid ingredients in a pot and bring to a boil.
6. Reduce heat to simmer and stir in herbs and spices.
7. Simmer for 20-30 minutes and season to taste.
8. Set oven to broil, pour soup into oven-proof serving bowls, top with a 1-inch thick slice of baguette.
9. Cover baguette and entire surface of soup with shredded swiss and parmesan cheese.
10. Place in oven until cheese begins browning-about 1 minute.