Next weekend the Cayuga Lake Wine Trail will be hosting Mardi Gras weekend. Get ready for food, wine, and of course - beads! (Enter to win tickets to Mardi Gras! We're giving away 15 pair - good luck!) I had the chance to catch up with Cathy Millspaugh (Cayuga Cathy!) the trail's executive director. She filled me in on all the exciting events like Mardi Gras, deals to take advantage of, and some history of the trail. Check out the Q&A below as well as the live interview in the YouTube link.
- The Cayuga Wine Trail is the oldest wine trail in the country, tell us a brief history about how it got started.
Mary Plane, of Plane's Cayuga Vineyards (now called Cayuga Ridge Estates), looked at her empty parking lot and knew, if her fledgling winery was to succeed, she needed to fill it. What could she do to entice people to visit? Would people come if there were more to do, more to see? Thus began Mary's vision of the Cayuga Lake Wine Trail. In 1981 there were four small new wineries: Plane's (now Cayuga Ridge Estate) Lucas, Americana, and Frontenac but four unknown wineries weren't enough of a draw. They would meet in each others kitchens and discuss what to do next thus the beginnings of the Cayuga Lake Wine Trail. With solicited participation from other attractions along and near route 89 in 1983 the first brochure was published and audacious – an anonymous quote- “The Cayuga Lake Wine Trail offers a variety that is unmatched in wine touring and tasting... No where else will travelers experience such a multitude of premium wines, attractions, comfortable lodging, fine restaurants, friendly people, and splendid scenery." A bit overstated then, but coming to fruition now.
- We know there’s wine on the wine trail, but we hear there are other things to enjoy as well, tell us more!
- There are four wine trail events that take place throughout the year, can you give us a brief description of each event and where to get tickets?
- What about the Vino Visa Coupon Book, the Seasons Pass and other offers?
- What is one thing that many folks wouldn’t know about the Cayuga Lake Wine Trail?
- Why do you love calling Finger Lakes Wine Country home?
- What’s the best wine and food pairing you’ve had recently?